47-year-old security guard killed in San Francisco; 3 suspects on the loose

This story will be updated.

Police said a 47-year-old security guard was shot and killed at a San Francisco Bay Area Bank of America branch Sunday night in an apparent attempted robbery.

The shooting occurred at about 8:45 p.m. inside the bank located at 1801 Cesar Chavez St.

Police said the security guard was approached by three men, all described as being in their 20s, at the bank. One of the suspects shot the man, and he died at the scene.

Police said the three suspects fled the scene in a dark-colored car.

Nearby police responded to the scene and are investigating.

Authorities said it’s unclear what led to the shooting.

Police notified more than a dozen nearby businesses of the shooting and are asking for cooperation.

San Francisco police did not say if the shooting is related to a robbery spree that occurred across the Bay Area earlier Sunday afternoon.

Three robberies were reported in the Tri-City area before the incident at the Cesar Chavez Bank.

A Check Point Security security guard was killed as he worked in the Oceanview neighborhood of San Mateo. Police said a group of suspects attacked him.

Police said the same three suspects were suspected in an attempted robbery at a Chase Bank branch in San Francisco later in the afternoon.

The robbery spree ended in San Jose, where police said suspects stole a victim’s car.

Law enforcement later issued an Amber Alert for the stolen car.

Meanwhile, in Millbrae, a man was robbed at gunpoint by two robbers early Sunday morning.

The man’s SUV was stolen at a Chevron gas station at Bay St. and Hill Road.

Nearby, a woman was attacked at a gas station at 30th Street and Hill Road in Oakland. The victims called police at about 5:45 a.m. and reported a man wearing a mask pointed a gun at her and demanded money.

Both robberies occurred in Oakland.

In November, a security guard who was protecting victims outside a San Francisco shopping center was shot by a gunman.

The killing occurred when Nino Castro, 40, allegedly confronted five people outside a 7-Eleven convenience store in the Marina District, near where Castro lived, to demand drugs and money.

The guards complied with his demands and Castro fired multiple shots at them, striking Castro in the leg.

He then ran off.

Police later arrested Castro at the shopping center.

Castro was later found not guilty of murder charges and now faces drug charges.

All these attacks occurred during the height of the ongoing gun violence in the Bay Area.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Reporter Joe Casalena contributed to this report.

First Warning Weather

Leave a Comment